Please note: the information listed below is for reference only and may not be complete or current. For details of the opportunities listed, including application deadlines, please contact each department.
UPDATED: Feb, 2014
- Opportunities to intern at nearby museums. Contact Art Department.
- Opportunities for internships also available through Office of Career Counseling http://web.williams.edu/Art/index.php
Linen Summer Grants for Study in Asia
- Grants for thesis-related research, independent research, and intensive language training programs at intermediate or advanced levels in South, Southeast, and East Asia.
- Open to all undergraduates, who have taken (or currently be taking) at least one course related to Asia.
- Contact Asian Studies Department Chair at the start of spring semester for application information.
The Tompkins Award for Excellence in Japanese:
- An award that a seminar or a conference attendance, or an independent research in Japan
- Given to one third-year or above Japanese language student
- All advanced Japanese language students automatically considered.
Keck Northeast Astronomy Consortium (KNAC): REU (Research Experiences for Undergraduates) funded by National Science Foundation (NSF) summer research program
- Research under a KNAC faculty for 10 weeks with a stipend of approximately $4,000
- Applications open in December, due early February
- Contact Astronomy Department for more information
Astrophysics, Computer Science, Geosciences, Mathematics, Statistics and Physics Clare Booth Luce Fellowship
Fellowship supports two summers of paid research (after sophomore and junior years), Sophomore women planning to major in one of these disciplines, US citizens are eligible.
- Working as a research assistant of a Williams faculty for up to 10 weeks
- Open to rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Information on research opportunities available in January
- Summer research at the Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research in Cambridge, MA
- Open to rising juniors
- Applications due in February
- Summer research positions at other institutions (MIT, NIH, Princeton, University of Washington, Harvard University, etc.)
For more information: http://biology.williams.edu/research/summer-opportunities/
Alumni Sponsored Internships
- Funds internships in public service, with stipend of $3,200 for an eight to ten week internship.
- Open to current Sophomores and Juniors
- Must attend a summer starter workshop at the Career Center
CES (Center for Environmental Studies) Summer Grant
- Grants for conducting scholarly research, creative projects, or participating in career-related internships of approximately 10 weeks. Maximum stipend of $3,700 awarded.
- Open to rising sophomores, juniors, seniors of all majors
- Not Open to Alums
For more information: http://ces.williams.edu/?page_id=101
- Work as a student research assistant for a Williams faculty for approximately 10 weeks, with stipend of $3,800 provided.
- Information sent out in January or early February to all economics and political economy majors, and sophomores that have completed core economics courses
For more information, contact the Economics Department’s Research Director
Summer Institute in American Foreign Policy
- Participate in a 4-week program to study American foreign policy and grand strategy.
- Program covers expenses, including room, board, course materials, and special events.
- Students receive a $1,000.00 stipend.
- Rolling admissions begin in January; applications accepted through mid-March.
- Program open to rising Sophomores and Juniors and runs mid-June to mid-July.
Keck Geology Consortium (http://keckgeology.org/)
- Research opportunity, provided with $1500 fellowship and $500 travel expenses
- Open to rising seniors
- Applications due early February
Lauren Interess Fellowship
- Fellowship of $1600 for a field or travel project related to earth sciences
- Available for projects conducted in Winter Study, spring break, or summer
- Applications accepted on rolling basis. http://www.williams.edu/Geoscience/opportunities.html
Summer Humanities Research
Class of 1957 Summer Research Program:
- Work as summer research assistant under a faculty in Division I or II.
- A stipend of $3800 provided for ten weeks of work.
- Open to rising sophomores, juniors, seniors
- Applications submitted by the faculty.
Mathematics and Statistics
SMALL Undergraduate Research Project
- Conduct research in mathematics and statistics under a Williams faculty.
- A nine-week program with a stipend of approximately $3400 provided.
- Applications due early February
- Work as a research assistant to Williams faculty
- Stipend provided
- Students are encouraged to speak to faculty directly
- Research, funded through Essel Foundation and Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Williams Instructional Technology Summer Internship
- Summer Technology Intern program at OIT.
- Application deadline early March.
Summer Research Assistantships
- Summer research assistant to a Williams faculty.
- Contact professor(s) during Winter Study or early February
Sawyer and Schow Libraries
- Summer employment available at Archives & Special Collections, Sawyer Library and Schow Science Library, minimum employment of ten weeks.
- Application deadline due mid-March
Science Departments Summer Research
Research Opportunities in Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Sciences, Geosciences, Physics, Psychology. Contact specific department.
- Support includes a $3800 stipend for 10 weeks plus housing
- Winter and spring deadlines
Office of Fellowships
Summer Undergrad Travel and Research Fellowships
- The Bostert, Lawrence, Millard, Wilmers, and Class of 1945 Student World Fellowships for independent summer study, travel, and research.
- Open to all Sophomores and Juniors.
- Wilmers Language Study Grant, open to First-Years, Sophomores and Juniors
- Deadline in February.
- Contact the Fellowships Office for more information
Williams Conferences & Events
- Several employment opportunities available for approximately ten weeks.
- Applications available in January
- Now under Campus Life, contact: Douglas.Schiazza@williams.edu
Williams Investment Office
- Paid summer internship.
- Details available in the Route 2 system
- Contact Office of Career Counseling (OCC) for more information
Williams in Africa
- Summer research opportunities available in countries such as Senegal, South Africa, and Uganda.
Williams Summer Theatre Lab
- An eight-week program with opportunities to work with professional artists on a project or an original work/
- Application through Department of Theatre, announced in January. http://62center.williams.edu/theatre/lab.cfm
- The Zilkha Center hires student interns to work during the academic year and during the summer.
- Summer interns typically work on a focused research project.
- Summer interns are typically chosen in mid to late spring semester.
- Contact email@example.com.